Thursday, September 2, 2010

Technologically Challenged

Though I do e-mail daily and follow some political and spiritual blogs, I rarely respond to them online. I'm more old-school, preferring to communicate in real-time, with a real person. I bought my first computer 15 years ago for a business and taught myself how to use Word, Excel and Access after months of trial and error. (I do not recommend this method.) I was even able to produce a web page after many frustrating hours I have a love hate relationship with technology. I love what it can help me do, but hate when it does not work as I expect. I’m the guy with a VHS player that perpetually flashes “12:00” At times I feel like I have a white-knuckle grip on the back rail of the technology bandwagon, face down, with feet dragging in the dirt.




I recognize that it is to my benefit to stretch my boundaries and learn new things. Also, I must keep in mind that each successive generation of children is becoming more and more tech savvy. My experience has been that I can learn much from children, but I expect to know at least as much as they do when it comes to technology and considerably more about the tools of teaching, technological or otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. We unplugged our VCR because we were tired of the blinking. And because we never used it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you Bill. Technology and I have never been close friends. We have been more adversarial in nature. But your right, kids these days can easily navigate these new tools and we must learn with and from them to stay relevant, especially as a teacher!

    ReplyDelete