Thursday, September 2, 2010

Talking Back

As a disciple of multi-culturism and multi-literacy, I found Witte’s article on two-way journaling via blogs refreshing. My early experience with reading and writing were quite different. My parents enrolled me into a children’s book club. I was to read a book a week and write a formulated report within strict, narrow set of guidelines. I found the books moralistic, obvious and thus boring. I saw reading and writing as a chore to be completed rather than something to enjoy. No one took the time to explore my interests and it was nearly two decades before I became aware of the joy and value of the written word.


As a future teacher and a current student, I appreciate the value of recognizing where children’s strengths and interests lie as a means to stimulating and developing learning writing skills. Witte’s Talkback project achieves to goals at once. Children’s written communication skills are being developed in an area of existing interest, (Online communication) albeit primarily social, and they are developing technological literacy.



As psychologist and philosopher Dr. Leo Bascalia suggests, “…each of us must follow our bliss.” As an educator it is essential that I be tuned into children’s individual strengths, abilities and interests that I might be able to help them discover their bliss.

3 comments:

  1. Bill,
    We still have a VCR also. Just realized the other day that we no longer have a way to play o0ur tapes. I am sooo confident that the children will always be ahead of me but I look at it like...if I am willing to learn and adaptable usually one of the children will love to be the expert.
    This article inspired me to begin a writing journal with my daughter. I'll let you know how it goes. I love the idea of two way writing for communication. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree emphatically with your statement "it is essential that I be tuned into children’s individual strengths, abilities and interests" -- and I hope that we as educators don't fall into the trap of assuming our students' strengths, abilities, and interests are necessarily technological.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. One powerful aspect of blogs is that they provide a "real" and public audience so that we (including children) can begin to anticipate certain blog readers. When we can actually imagine a reader, we craft our messages and tailor them to better communicate with that particular reader.

    ReplyDelete