Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Power of Multi-genre

My experience with the multi-genre project was much different than I expected. I was prepared to learn more about multiculturalism and the benefits of building a multicultural classroom community. I believed this would come through investigation on my research paper. I did not have much confidence that the other genres would be as persuasive, nor would they provide any additional understanding.

            To my surprise the concept of multi-genre or multiple literacies continued to crop up throughout my work. I saw this first during research on the Paper Clips Project. Student’s involvement went beyond simple investigation.  The combined effect of various genres produced a profound emotional connection for both students and teachers. I saw this approach at work with the Globetrekker’s Club as well. After initial investigation of a culture the club members are taken on virtual trips complete with itineraries, passports, reservations etc. This touch of realism heightens curiosity about different cultures and increases the learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment